EPSRC call for Exploration Studies for Grand Challenges within the Information-Driven Health Initiative
This is the preparatory stage of a potential major initiative in this area, looking at the potential of novel Information and Communications Technology (ICT) to improve health and transform care provision.
Initially, they are looking to support eighteen month activities intended to develop and inform potential future research grand challenges in this area. The initiative seeks to support multi-disciplinary ICT and health research to enable earlier and better detection, decision and intervention.
Examples of advances that might fall within this vision include amongst others:
· The use of simulation and modelling to enable personalisation of treatments;
· The integration of clinical imaging with biomedical modelling and other information to allow visualisation of diagnostic and treatment decision relevant biological information rather than physical parameters;
· Opening up new opportunities for early detection of public health issues by combination of health care, genomic, socio-economic, and demographic data;
· Using two-way information flow with implantable devices;
· The use of networked sensors and other pervasive IT technologies to monitor health and control intervention delivery both within and outside dedicated care environments;
· Novel data integration and interrogation techniques to enable linkage of large-scale ‘omic analysis to biomedical measures, epidemiology and clinical observations.
Closing Date: 4pm Thursday, 8 November 2007